Wednesday, November 14, 2007


The video I chose was Barbie Girl by Aqua. This music video just makes me want to kill myself. This is one of the most annoying songs I have ever heard. The only thing that is remotely good about this video is how funny it is. Ken is bald and has a tattoo and Barbie has black hair. This upsets me. Barbie is blonde, and Ken has a full head of hair. Not that I really care, but it displeases me that they would change these key factors. You cannot change the Barbie icon. Barbie is the perfect stereotype of perfection. I also don’t like the fact that there is a song about Barbie in the first place. Who really makes a song all about Barbie, and that in and of itself is annoying. Barbie should not get her own song. She already has everything else.

The voice of the musician is high pitched and annoying. It is like one of your little brother’s friends that will never leave you alone. You feel like you cannot escape it. The voice and the look of the fake unblond Barbie do not match each other. This makes the video that much more unbelievable and aggravating.

To me this video is creepy. It is really scary how close the costumes and the scenery match Barbie. This video is set up like a Barbie toy ad. When she kisses the horse that really freaked me out. It was too much like the commercials you watch on cartoon network, where the doll moves by itself. When I watch this video, I get a sense like everything in it is really plastic. In that sense the video does a good job of portraying the plastic Barbie doll, but it is also weird because there are real people in this really fake world. It is totally unbelievable.